Monday 27 April 2015

Fabulous Retreat Weekend

Lucky me... just had a fab 2½ days away... so much fun!
(lots of pics, beware!)

A late change of plans worked in my favour & had me arriving at our beautiful location of 'Banksia Springs Cottages, Dwellingup' mid-morning on Friday, rather than late afternoon.

After unpacking & pinching myself that I was actually there, I got myself set up to work.
What a great venue... set up specifically for patchwork groups... lots of lovely windows to bring the outdoors in... sleeping area separate so any late night sewing or chatting can continue without disturbing slumber.

The card "Super Scrappy" from Lynne Wilson Designs had been on my radar as something to make at a time like this... something to sew without fear of getting lost on instructions.
Pair & sew, pair & sew... repeat to make 48 pairs... then press them all open...
 Make rows (good for you, I can't get those pics off my phone!)... unpick, re-arrange & re-sew some rows to even out the colour mix... be chastised for being too picky... go to bed.
Saturday morning, join some rows... fluff around, join some more rows...

eat a small serve of failed-but-delicious cheesecake, join remaining rows... then Taa-Daah!

And all that by high-noon on Saturday. Woo Hoo!
I made my Super Scrappy bigger than the pattern, working it to a generously-snuggly 65" x 80". The 'challenge' I had set myself was to come home with a completed quilt top, & it's great to have achieved that. All of those fabrics had languished in my Overload for some time, so it's great to see them out & sewn!

As for the ladies I was with, well what a hoot they are... among the jokes & cheekiness, there was great chats about all sorts of things... we had Wine O'Clock (ie very early pre-dinner bevvy & nibbles)... great meals... a cosy wood fire to sit near when the cold nights set in.

Our conversations flowed between the many issues & topics of things that friends share, & were of course punctuated with lots of crazy remarks, jokes & side-splitting laughter.
I confess I felt it quite the compliment when it was declared & seconded, that I 'really do fit in'.
Perhaps that was because it's the first time I've been in such a setting with them & they witnessed some of my personal traits not previously revealed?!

Saturday evening was spent working a bit more on my Christmas Blessings Star & leafing through a few sewing/patchworks mags. And yes some more wine & lots more talking.

It really was a fabulous weekend & now I can totally understand why so many ladies love their Retreats!
And just to be clear, yes I am adhering to the statement:
What Happens On Retreat, Stays On Retreat!!
Early morning mist
 Guess what's off to the quilter this week??!

Welcome to my new Followers, I hope you'll leave me a Comment some time, so I can get to know you!

19 comments:

Pamela said...

What a great weekend! I want to go on retreat!

Deb R said...

Glad you had a wonderful weekend...always good to have a finush!

sunny said...

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time! I love retreats, and just signed up for another for February. How many people did you have?

kiwikid said...

So good to hear you had a wonderful time! I love retreats too! Well done to get the quilt top finished!!

Lin said...

Sounds blissful! Glad you made it and that you had such a great time. xx

Lisa V said...

So jealous right now!!

Justine said...

Sounds fantastic! And what a lot you got done!

Maria said...

Sounds wonderful Anthea! Love the quilt top you finished; it looks great :-)

marina said...

sounds like a fantastic time was had. well done on your flimsy finish.
lovely photo of the morning mist, at least we can see it wasn't just through bleery eyes..

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful weekend Anthea ,theses retreats are so much fun .xx

Maria said...

How wonderful you finally got to go on retreat Anthea...
Pleased you had a great time ...I love the scrappy quilt top and another gorgeous Christmas stitchery you are working on.

Ondrea said...

Retreats are so much fun. Looks like you got heaps done despite all the chitter chatter etc. Your quilt is lovely.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Sounds a lovely weekend Anthea....friendship, sewing, wine...perfect!

SuperMomNoCape said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time at your retreat. A retreat is on my list of things to do this year.

I love your redwork Christmas Blessings Star! Redwork is a favorite of mine and I'm always inspired by seeing what others are working on.

I would love to have you come link up this post (or one of your others) to my new weekly Stitchery Link Party. http://www.supermomnocape.com/2015/04/27/vintage-embroidery-monday-and-stitchery-link-party/

Chookyblue...... said...

what a wonderful time.......
got my link up post done.....off to work so will try and remember to link up tonight......

Karen's Korner said...

What an ideal way to spend time with lovely like minded people, laughing, sewing, eating and drinking the odd drop or three.

Fiona said...

well done on getting your quilt top done... I love it.... so glad you enjoyed your first retreat... special time to be with friends....
Hugz

Yvonne W said...

What a fabulous weekend away-- and what amazes me is that you managed to get so much done!

Kaylee said...

Sounds fun, I'm looking forward to the day when I go on my first retreat. The scrappy quilt tops is gorgeous Anthea and all in a day or two..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...