Friday 12 January 2018

I'm Joining In With 'Rainbow Scrap Challenge'

After a couple of years of seeing 'Rainbow Scrap Challenge' sewing cleverness popping up on blogs, Instagram & on Pinterest too, I've decided that this is the year to join in the fun!
 The idea with this Challenge is to sew with the nominated colour each month, thus giving each participant a chance to sew with a small portion of their scraps on an ongoing basis... hopefully slowly reducing the scraps piles!
Some people make a few blocks each month that will eventually become a quilt... some people maybe don't have much of the nominated colour of that month & choose to make a few small items... the main thing is, you don't buy fabric for this Challenge, you use what you already have.

HERE is the host blog, where you can find all the details... And HERE is the introductory post for 2018.

You may recall my many piles of neatly cut & stacked 2½"squares... these were cut before I decided to be part of RSC, so it's a fun bonus that I already have so much stuff cut & ready.
 The 2nd cull of fabrics has been cut too... my tub of little squares is looking nice & full. I tell you what, there's something very satisfying about scraping through those tubs & doing a big cutting frenzy!
Yes, I have quite the array of fabrics & therefore now zillions of squares ready to sew with... which will do me very nicely for RSC, plus some other ideas too.

I'm not going to over-commit with this Challenge... ONE project is a good start... and maybe a second one in a few months when I get the feel for my ability to keep up.
A test block or two are needed on that 2nd idea, before I make a decision.
 (unlike Fiona sewing for RSC last year, I won't be making 30 blocks every month😉)

SO... the colour for January is lighter blues... my old mate blue!
I was quite surprised during my cutting fiesta, with how many lighter blue pieces I had tucked away unloved in those tubs.
On Wednesday, white background fabric was cut... sewing happened... & now I have these blocks... happy me.
They are 9"square as they are & I'm aiming for two blocks each month.

If you want to tame your scraps, why not pop over to the host blog & read all about it!

27 comments:

Jeanette said...

Love your blocks. Hugs, xx

sunny said...

Glad to see you're participating, but I have bad news for you. This will NOT DIMINISH the size of your scrap bin at all! I do not know the science behind it, but it's a fact. I'm planning to do one block per week, and maybe some place mats. And I'll have just as many scraps at the end of the year as I do now.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Looks great! And Sunny is right.. it won't affect your scrap bin much, but at least you'll have a quilt to show for it :) xx

Kate said...

Have fun with this one Anthea - I look forward to all your scrapiness. :) Have a swell weekend.

Maria said...

Enjoy the RSC18 challenge. I'm trying not to join in as I have too many UFOs.

Narelle said...

Very pretty blocks ... gotta love a nice stack of squares 😊

Cheryll said...

The rainbow scrap challenge definitely helps with scrap reduction. I finished with a gorgeous quilt at the end. So happy!!!
You will love it each month...xox

Susan said...

I was so tempted last year...still tempted...but since you already have squares cut - that is a great idea for you.

Helen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Helen said...

I have also been tempted but so far resisted....love your blocks, good luck reducing your scrap bin.

Ondrea said...

Your blocks are so lovely. Great choice of fabrics.

Michelle Ridgway said...

I throughly enjoyed RSC. My friend and I did one block per month for 2 years and we loved the "no pressure" of it. I do love your blocks Anthea xx

Janice said...

Looking great. You’re going to end up with a lovely quilt at the end of the process. I’ve caved and am going along with their stitch along rather than log cabins. I’m looking forward to seeing how your blocks turn out and look together.

Kaylee said...

Such a great idea Anthea, your blocks look really lovely.

Fiona said...

Love your blocks and it's great having a pile of ready cut pieces.... yes, well that friend of yours... her blocks were about as big as your cut squares - does that rationalise her insanity???????
I think we will do it again this year... thinking of making shopping bags each month this time...
Hugz

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blocks Anthea,this looks like an interesting challenge xx

scraphappy said...

What pretty blocks! Thanks so much for joining in. 2 blocks does seem like a nice reasonable number.

Katie said...

That pretty batch of cut squares makes me want to come over and sew something with your scraps! (You see, mine are far messier and this looks so easy!) The block you've chosen is perfect and you'll have a great quilt at the end of the year...even if you don't have 40 zillion blocks for it!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lots of wonderful BLUE scraps were use in your two RSC blocks!! I've participated in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for the past 3 years. LOVE it!!!

Jennifer said...

welcome! your scrappy grannies are great!

Jennie in GA said...

Welcome and good luck!! You’ve made a terrific start.

Nanette said...

I'm joining in again this year Anthea, missed last year, and I've cheated a bit by using blue blocks from 2016! I really like your pretty light blue blocks, you'll have a lovely quilt at the end.

kiwikid said...

Hope you enjoy the challenge, your blocks are beautiful.

Jo said...

I love seeing your scrappy squares being used. Don't they just go together so well..

Lin said...

Oh I love those blue blocks Anthea! You have given me an idea as I have a box of squares in various sizes cut out and I ought to make use of them. Something to think about after Spain. Glad you are joining in with the RSC. xx

Sue's Patchwork and Quilting Blog said...

Beautiful colours for your scrap blocks. I have some bags of scrap fabrics so I should join in to get my scrap fabric sewn up as I have squares cut already somewhere. I will look for them and get started.

Janet said...

Your blocks look great! I will have to check this out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...